Foursquare4Jumpers App
  • ChaunceChaunce July 2011
    A fellow MoG user @cestpasevident has built a Foursquare app (in Java) to help us with our badge unlocking, he calls it Foursquare4Jumpers. He says the app will allow you to check-in everywhere in the world without any constraints, as if you were at the location. It means that your checkins count for mayorship and for people count (useful for swarm badge for example).

His directions for using the app are as follows:
    1. allow application to connect to your Foursquare account
    2. Set location. Set the first field to where you want to be for example NY. The app searches for the location via Google Maps. You can also be more precise with a street and number, the cross-street and so on.
    3. Search for venue, select it in the table and check in.

He has asked us to try it out and give feedback about it. The app can be downloaded here https://public.me.com/cestpasevident

This app goes against Foursquare's policy and you use at your own risk. We accept no responsibility for your actions.
  • JR1JR1 July 2011
    All i will say is with the new 4sqr rules on how aps have to be designed this sounds like it would be in violation and would get anyone who uses it one of those nice letters from 4sqr. so if you are going to test this i would do so with a test account first and not your main account that you have all your badges on. That would be my thought on the matter.
    I was thinking the same thing. I ran out of space to add that disclaimer
  • JR1JR1 July 2011
    Great minds think alike
    Edited a few things, now the disclaimer is there
  • JR1JR1 July 2011
    That works
  • Thanks Chaunce for your support.

Adding a disclaimer is a great idea.

I use this since a few weeks, with my main account and I did not receive anything from 4sq, even if I admit this app completely violates 4sq policy.

But, the first goal of this app is to make user checkins count for swarm badge, and unfortunately the 'board effect' is that checkins also count for mayorship.

I don't designed this app for mayorship, only for badges and just as pocketcrowd to mention where you've been, or where you will be, in case you could nt checkin with your mobile.
  • Just to discuss the app, here is what it does:

the downloadable version allows you to checkin via venue ID OR via location+venue around you.

The app is never aware of you're login/password as you connect the app directly on 4sq website via oauth.

this app is still a draft one, so there might be some bugs, some missing features, that will be added through your requirements so I'm waiting for your positive and negative feedbacks, and don't hesitate to contact me via twitter : @cestpasevident.

the known missing-but-coming features are:
    -specifying the number of points earned by a checkin
    -badge unlocked by a checkin
    -show venue category and tags.

Stay tuned, improvement is in progress.
  • 4bah_9ahuL4bah_9ahuL July 2011
    it's just for mobile application or we can use at PC??
  • it's not a mobile app, you cannot run it on a mobile device, it works on PC(Windows and Linux)/MAC

this is the interest of the app: simulating a mobile device that has a GPS, but on a PC. And you drive the GPS as you specify the location the want to be at.

i can't use it. after 'allow application to connect to your Foursquare account',, it's fail.. :(
  • does your browser open when you're asked to allow the app?
    which OS do you use?
    yea,, i already allowed the app. after that nothing..
    i use win xp sp 3
  • the scenario is as follow:
    1/. you are asked to allow the app via a popup
    2/. your browser opens.
    3/. another popup appears saying "let's go?"

Did you see the popup on step 3 ?
    oh,,I already tried it again and work. thanks.
  • cool!
  • cool, it works!
    any feedback?
    I think it's okay for this time. good job guys!
  • AlexJuniorAlexJunior July 2011
    Congrats on you app @cestpasevident :) waiting for the Mobile version,lol :)
  • did you try it too? what do you think about it?
    a mobile version? for your new samsung ? why not! honnestly, it could be possible. Just let me some time!
  • Make one for Symbian!
  • BeerknurdBeerknurd July 2011
    I am able to set my location, but once I choose a place from the list and choose check in... Nothing happens... :-(

-EDIT-

I am using the mobile site instead of this one. Still can't get the app to work though.
  • I had the same problem on my mac: it takes time to load and I don't know why, maybe apple's java implementation.

I had also this issue when foursquare site is down. Localisation comes from google and venues come from 4sq, so one can work while the other is down. Can you try again and tell me if the pb persists? thanks (Sorry for the delay I was on holidays for the last 2 weeks)
  • NessunoNessuno July 2011
    do we know how many people are using this app?
    savons-nous combien de personnes utilisent ce app?
  • i know 5 people using it daily.
    On my side I use it daily, since one month approx. I never had a warning by 4sq, but I assume it could come. I stole 1 or 2 mayorships with it...
    Did you try the app?
  • Daniels_dcDaniels_dc August 2011
    Hi guys..
    I just dowloaded this app and got a pop up "cannot retrieve token"

is this app still working?
  • guoshyang September 2011
    anyone can send the app to me? thanks
  • RainWave23RainWave23 September 2011
    Just remember, with the new foursquare rules on how aps have to be designed this sounds like it would be in violation and would get anyone who uses flagged. So if you're going to use this, keep in mind there's a risk that foursquare could flag your account or suspend your account, or even deactivate it.
  • apulapul November 2012
    Halo guys, i want to ask something, a few days ago i've seen my friend check in at DW stadium in UK but in only 10 minutes he already can check in at sunday river resort in USA.. how did he do that??
  • JR1JR1 November 2012
    @apul First off @choad17 is correct posting the same question in several diffrent discussions will not get the ? answered and faster. In the future please refrain from doing this as it is considered spamming and the excess posts will be deleted.

Now to answer your ?. Your friend must be using a gps spoof on a smartphone or comp and is checking in like he is really at the venue. It is a way to avoid travel time HOWEVER It is also a great way to have your account flagged by 4sqr. It is not something the we recomend doing and claim no responsibility if you do try something like that and your acct gets flagged.
Star Wars Snowflakes

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Foursquare Badge List