SMS Text Check-In
  • TymoraTymora July 2011
    This allows you to checkin via sms text. Travel time restrictions still apply and there is still no "shout" option but it counts towards mayorships.
    http://support.foursquare.com/entries/231544-how-do-i-check-in-via-sms
    I tried this and it is a pain plus It seems suspicious to me. IF YOU CHOOSE TO TRY IT, IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
  • EdgerEdger July 2011
    Mmmmm....
  • TymoraTymora July 2011
    Yeah. I would view this as more of a warning than a useful tool. Smells like bait to me
  • EdgerEdger July 2011
    I find it very strange, but comes from "foursquare" will wait more news.
  • TymoraTymora July 2011
    That's what makes me uneasy. With mobile you cannot steal a mayorship, count as actually there, or do anything to mess up their demographics...yet they took away our ability to do it without waiting travel time...and now they offer way to remotely steal a mayorship? Something's not right.
  • JR1JR1 July 2011
    How to checkin using SMS:

1. To get started, go to http://dotgo.com/res/foursquare/ on your computer and click to authorize your phone (you'll be asked to log in to your foursquare account).

2. When you receive a unique pin number, use your mobile phone to text "foursquare + pin#" to DOTCOM (368266).

3. Once authorized, you'll see a menu of actions. For example, text "3 empire state building" to 368266 to check in to the Empire State Building. You can always text "foursquare" to 368266 to see the menu again.

Check out more instructions and shortcuts here. This is currently available in the U.S. only but we're hoping to expand internationally soon!
  • JR1JR1 July 2011
    From the DOTGO page

Are there any navigation shortcuts?
    Yes. Any of these commands can be texted to DOTCOM (368266):

foursquare checkin (place) [ex. 'foursquare checkin starbucks'] — Drops you into either the venue listing so that you can check in or the venue search if there are multiple locations (i.e. Starbucks).

foursquare tips — Pulls up tips nearby from your friends, based on your last check in location.

foursquare profile — Pulls up your profile where you can do things like check out your mayorships, history, or badges.

foursquare todo — Pulls up your to do list.

foursquare reset all — Use to revoke your phone’s authorization (this will require you to re-register your phone with a new pin if you want to use foursquare SMS again).

If you forget the shortcuts, you can always find them by texting foursquare to DOTCOM (368266) and then replying 6 for help.
  • JR1JR1 July 2011
    How does it work?
    To use foursquare with text messaging, just compose a new text message to the phone number DOTCOM (368266), and send the word "foursquare" in the body of the message.

How does foursquare know my location?
    Your location is based on your last check in. If you're checking in from a city that's different from your last check in, you can change your location by replying 3 from the main menu.

Will I be charged for texting?
    You can use foursquare by text messaging for free, but standard message and data rates apply. Many people these days have unlimited texting plans, but you should check with your cellular carrier if you aren't sure.

How do I reply to a menu?
    You can simply reply with the numbers next to the menu items that appear in parentheses. For example, to look at recent checkins by your friends just reply 1 from the main menu.

Does this work outside the US?
    Right now foursquare SMS is only available in the US, but we're working to expand internationally.
  • JR1JR1 July 2011
    The DOTGO page link is:
    http://dotgo.com/res/foursquare/
  • JR1JR1 July 2011
    The information for SMS text checkin was origionally posted on 4sqr on Aug, 5th 2010. So this is not something new that they just started doing. I do find it odd that they still let you get mayorships whit this checkin method. But i wouldnt be suprised if that got changed soon too. The amount of effort it takes to checkin this way is prob why we havent heard much about this method of checkin and why 4sqr hasnt changed the rules for this way to checkin yet. After trying this way once i can say i would never waste my time doing it again.
Star Wars Snowflakes

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Foursquare Badge List