Greasy Spoon Badge
  • JR1JR1 October 2011
    Greasy Spoon

How to unlock:
    1. Checkin 5 times to the same "Diner" venue or to 3 unique "Diner" venues.
    2. To level up checkin to 5 more unique "Diner" venues (levels 2-10)
    3. If checking into the same venue only 1 checkin a day will count for this badge (only for level 1 of the badge)
    4. Previous checkins count

Badge unlocks worldwide

Unlock instructions verified on: 11/01/2011

Venues:

Any venue with the main category of "Diner" will count for this badge
  • JR1JR1 October 2011
    Unlock message:

"Sticky vinyl booths, bottomless mugs of joe, apple pie fresh out of the display case… Does that waitress have syrup on her hairnet? Sounds like diner heaven to us. Now that you've hit 5, treat yourself to onion rings. Or a milkshake. We suggest both."
  • JR1JR1 October 2011
    Space for future badge updates:

Venue List:
    Greasy Spoon
  • iamciamc October 2011
    Thanks for the list, JR! Got the badge in a matter or minutes!
  • JR1JR1 October 2011
    No prob. Happy to help :)
  • BeerknurdBeerknurd October 2011
    @JR1 I moved this badge to active. It was created in the General category.
  • JR1JR1 October 2011
    Thanks @Beerknurd good catch... Thats what I get for creating a badge discussion while taking an online class.
  • ZalabardZalabard October 2011
    Confirm: available worldwide. Just unlocked in Milan
    https://it.foursquare.com/v/trattoria-toscana/4b05887df964a52064c922e3
    One ci, previous do count!
  • BonsaiCatBonsaiCat October 2011
    Unlocked tonight in Sicily ;)
  • Thanks @JR1 appreciate
  • jimmyongahjimmyongah October 2011
    i need 3 check in to unlock the badge, anyway thanks john
  • JR1JR1 October 2011
    As stated previous checkins do count. :) I got it in less then 5 with my main acct, but it took 5 on my test acct.
  • diegoluisaviladiegoluisavila October 2011
    The "venues" link on the "foursquare badge list" page takes you to the "Iowa Hawkeye Explorer Badge" (NOT here)
  • JR1JR1 October 2011
    @diegoluisavila Thanks for teh heads up on that. Will pass that along and get it fixed.
  • ChaunceChaunce October 2011
    Thanks, got it fixed now
  • JimmyKastnerJimmyKastner October 2011
    I have a list of NJ diners that will help you unlock the badge. https://foursquare.com/jimmykastner/list/the-best-new-jersey-diners
  • KltpzyxmKltpzyxm October 2011
    Just like to know if 5 check-ins in one venue will unlock this badge or if it requires five different ones. Thanks!
  • JR1JR1 October 2011
    @Kltpzyxm Have not tested that yet. But when I unlocked the badge it was while checking into a "diner" for the 2nd time. The only thing would be that the checkins would have to be on 5 diffrent days and not all in one day. If you want to give that a try let us know, if not and you want to wait a few days I can test it out and let you know.
  • KltpzyxmKltpzyxm October 2011
    Thanks @JR1. 2 hours ago was my 5th check in on the same venue categorized as diner but the badge didn't unlock. As I reviewed all my check ins, the very first check in I made to this venue was already 4 months ago and the remaining 4 (including my check in today) were still in 2 months time. So I'm wondering if the badge requires different venue. Curious, I opened foursquare mobile and tried searching for 4 more different venues. I made test check ins, and voila! The badge unlocks on the last venue!

I therefore conclude that the badge requires 5 different venues and can be unlocked in a single day.
  • JR1JR1 November 2011
    unlock instructions updated
  • mesedo November 2012
    I have made like hundreds of check ins in different kinds of diners all around the world but still did not get this badge. I have got the herbivore, bento and hot tamale badges, though. Is this badge retired?
  • BeerknurdBeerknurd November 2012
    @mesedo I just got this badge with 3 checkins on a test account. It is definitely still active.

New York Venues

The Bowery Diner
    Brownstone Diner & Pancake Factory
    Tick Tock Diner
  • mesedo November 2012
    Thank you Beerknurd for the clarification, I think I am doing something wrong, I have lots of check ins for different kinds of restaurants, but I think I have to find "diner" ones in my language :) I do not use English foursquare, that might be the thing..
Star Wars Snowflakes

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Foursquare Badge List